Ever wonder what that long list of ingredients is on that bottle of lotion or shampoo you use? If it is sold in stores it must be fine to use, right? Maybe you should take a minute and look again the next time you go shopping for every day toiletries, cosmetics, hair and skin care products. Keep in mind that the FDA only requires companies to list the ingredients that are in a product from highest quantity to lowest quantity but not what the ingredient actually is or does to your body. The skin is the largest organ we have and acts as a filter for our body absorbing up to 60% of what we put on it. Increasing the risk for diseases later in life when exposed to chemical and toxins on a regular basis. The following list is only some of the chemicals found in products we use on our skin daily.
1. Benzoyl Peroxide: used in acne products, can be an eye, skin and respiratory irritant.
2. DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (monoehanolamine), & TEA (triethanolamine): this is a foaming boaster that may be a skin/eye irritant and causes contact dermatitis.
3. Dioxin: found in antibacterial ingredients like triclosan, causes reduced immunity, and nervous system disorders.
4. DMDM Hydantoin & Urea: two preservatives that release formaldehyde which may cause joint pain, cancer, skin reactions, and allergies.
5. FD&C color and pigments: synthetic colors from coal tar contain heavy metal salts that deposit toxins in the skin causing irritation and sensitivity.
6. Parabens: used as preservatives. Not always labeled. Used in deodorants and other skin care products. Have been found in breast cancer tumors.
7. PEG (polyethylene glycol): can create dangerous levels of dioxin and are found in everything including personal care and baby care.
8. Phthalates: found in many products, usually not listed on labels. Health effects include damage to kidneys/liver, birth defects, early breast development in boys and girls.
9. Propylene Glycol and Butylene Glycol: Petroleum plastics. EPA considers PG so toxic it requires gloves, clothing, goggles and disposal by burying. EPA warns against skin contact to prevent brain, liver and kidney abnormalities.
10. Sodium lauryl sulfate & Sodium laureth sulfate: used in car washes, garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers and 90% of personal care products that foam. Can cause eye damage, depression and skin irritation.
11. Sunscreen chemicals: Avobenzone, benzphenone and PABA are commonly used ingredients that are free radical generators which lead to cancers.
12. Tricolsan: synthetic antibacterial ingredient. EPA registers it as a pesticide, posing risks to human health and the environment.
So next time you reach for that shampoo or skin care cream, take a minute to look at the ingredients. For further research check our these websites:
http://safecosmentcs.org or, http://thehealthylivinglounge.com
At GallaherSpa, we take in the utmost pride in the skin care products we offer to our clients. Carefully selecting products that are Paraben Free, Chemical Free, Free of synthetic color additives and fragrances and Dermatologist tested. Leaving each client with a customized skin care regimen to help achieve and maintain their best skin! Along with Neocutis, Obagi and SkinMedica skin care products, we offer the all organic skin care line EMINENCE! You will love what it can do for your skin and health! ~ J Ryan LE, LMT
Stop by any of our locations for a complimentary skin care consultation. Our medically trained Aestheticians will help guide you to the best skin care regimen for you!